Information for U.S. Visitors to Ontario

Only valid passports and Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant documents are acceptable for entering the U.S. - both for Canadians and returning U.S. residents. View the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Fact Sheet.

U.S. citizens returning to the United States entering at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), such as:

View a list of valid travel documents approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

For additional information on exceptions to the standard requirements as well as duty-free limits, please refer to:

Driving in Ontario

When driving in Ontario U.S. travelers need to be aware that posted speed limits are in kilometers per hour. Here is an approximate conversion chart of commonly posted speed limits:

km/hr m.p.h.
50 30
80 50
90 55
100 60

Be aware also of the following regulations:

See also the Ontario Ministry of Transport website for additional maps and highway information, including road conditions and highway closures due to construction.

What You Should Know About Ontario's Taxes

Ontario has an 13% Harmonized sales tax (HST), with special taxes on food and liquor in restaurants.

As a visitor you will be charged: